Are you looking for a tactical axe? These nimble pieces of equipment are generally lighter and finer when compared to more traditional and heavier axes. This means that while tactical axes can handle some chopping and shaving, they are best suited for throwing and close-quarters combat.
There's a lot more on offer, though. These axes come in a variety of shapes and sizes to help you in any situation. You will find that some come equipped with a hammer head, for example, while others might come with a sickle. This means you can probably find a tactical axe that's perfect for your needs.
Tactical axes often draw a huge amount of inspiration from the legendary tomahawk axe, too. It's little wonder that these axes are used by a wide range of professionals around the world.
A quality tactical axe must offer you the very best when it comes to quality and performance. This means that you've got to take the time to properly research the various options available on the market, but this is often easier said than done!
To help you find the very best tactical axe of 2021, here's a complete buying guide.
How to Buy the Best Tactical Axe
First things first, let's take a look at the key features you'll want to assess when searching for your tactical axe. A good understanding of these areas will help you to separate the good from the bad to make sure that you purchase the right option.
Tactical axes are made to be used in a variety of situations. They have to be easy to grab at a moment's notice to complete a range of tasks like cutting, splitting, chopping, prying, and more.
A comfortable handle can help you to fulfil those wide range of tasks. You should look out for a handle that fits your preferences in terms of its length, curve, and material. Those three factors will have the biggest influence on how the tactical axe feels in the palm of your hand!
Tactical axes are used in a wide range of environments and contexts. This is why you should make sure the design makes sense from a practical perspective - it should have the right dimensions and weight for your needs.
In terms of aesthetics, it should be a good fit too. You might find that you need to use your tactical axe in wooded areas and that you'd like a bright handle that is easy to find among foliage. There's a lot to consider in terms of the design.
It's also very important that the tactical axe you choose is made from the appropriate material. This is often a fine balancing act: you want to find a tactical axe that walks the line between strength and dexterity. You want to find a tactical axe that can be carried easily yet still deliver the power that you need.
In recent years, tactical axes have emerged that make good use of advanced materials. While you might love the classical look and feel of a wooden handle, you'll be able to find a range of metal and composite handles that offer unbeatable durability and power.
Your tactical axe needs to retain a sharp edge for as long as possible. If you use your tactical axe for a variety of tasks over a long period of time, it's important that it remains sharp. You should find a blade that is made from a strong material that can also be resharpened easily.
If you are going to be throwing your tactical axe, you'll want to pay particular attention to the blade. It should be sharp and wide enough to stick into its target without any issue.
Tactical axes are adored for their versatility - does yours have the features you need? You might find, for example, that you need a tactical axe with a particularly sharp blade given it will be used for chopping.
You should think carefully about what you're going to use your tactical axe for and whether your various options meet your needs.
Top 10 Tactical Axes
Now that we have a better understanding of how to assess the various tactical axes out there, let's take a look at the top options that are available on the market.
1. Operator Compact Tactical Axe
We are starting off this list with a very strong option. This compact tactical axe is very compact indeed but it doesn't make any sacrifices when it comes to functionality: it can be used for chopping and pounding to help you in a wide range of situations. There's a hard sheath included, too, keeping your tactical axe as transportable as possible.
- A compact 10-inch length that's easy to carry.
- A textured hammer head that can help with various survival tasks.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- There are some complaints about the sheath and its quality.
This product is best for a wide range of people looking for a reliable and high-quality tactical axe that can be used in almost any situation.
2. M48 Ranger Hawk Axe with Compass
This tactical axe is all about durability and compactness. Its nylon-reinforced handle contains 30-percent fiberglass, meaning that it is incredibly durable and it can absorb the hardest of impacts. The head is built from precision case stainless steel that features an impressive 8-inch blade that can achieve fine cuts.
- Accompanied by a compass for ultimate survival potential.
- Really robust materials and good workmanship.
- A premium item that feels strong.
- This tactical axe could even be too light for some people.
This product is best for survival enthusiasts looking for the perfect tactical axe companion to assist with a range of tasks.
3. Officially Licensed USMC Elite Tactical Bruiser Survival Tomahawk Axe
The US military calls upon tactical tomahawk axes for a wide range of tasks. This is an officially licensed product that captures the quality that military professionals require. It has an overall length of 15-inches and weighs in at just a few pounds. A compass and watches also screw into the bottom, making this great for survival.
- A quality item made from good steel.
- Great balance given the weight distribution.
- A multipurpose tool that can help with lots of tasks.
- The handle is not the most ergonomic or comfortable, making sustained use difficult.
This product is best for people who want a quality tactical axe that doubles up as a multipurpose tool that can help in a range of situations.
4. MTech USA M-X001 Tactical Axe
This strong and compact tactical axe is simple to carry and its nylon sheath helps to keep you safe. The nylon sheath covers the stainless steel head that comes with an impressive 7mm thick cutting edge. A survival kit is once again included within the handle to offer lots of flexibility.
- Incredibly light axe with a sharp edge.
- The survival kit is a nice addition.
- A durable option that can last for a long time.
- A handle that isn't entirely comfortable that can cause some fatigue after a little while.
This product is best for survival enthusiasts who want a light and reliable axe that can last them for many years to come while retaining its sharp edge.
5. SOG Outdoor Survival Hatchet and Tactical Tomahawk
This stainless steel tactical axe can be used for lots of different tasks. The 3-inch black stainless steel blade is though and holds its sharp edge well - that's why the nylon sheath is particularly important. The claw spike can help with things like prying and wire cutting while the in-handle firestarter rod can help with camping.
- A strong and versatile tool that's perfect for camping.
- SOG is a trusted manufacturer that offers great products.
- The fire starter is a great addition that is perfect for starting a fire.
- The handle is somewhat uncomfortable after sustained use.
- The lightweight nature of the tactical axe means it's not the most accurate.
This product is best for survival enthusiasts who need a reliable and impossibly durable companion that can help with camping and outdoor survival.
6. SOG Voodoo Hawk Mini
With an overall length of just 12.5-inches and a weight of 23.1oz, this is one of the lightest and most nimble tactical axes on this list. If you're looking for a heavy-duty tactical axe with a large cutting edge and compact handle, this could be the axe for you. It comes with a steel blade and glass-reinforced nylon handle to offer unparalleled power and durability.
- A great relationship between cost and quality.
- A very sharp blade that gets results.
- Perfect for camping and chopping dead trees.
- Some complaints that the screws can come loose after some use.
This product is best for people who want a tactical axe that offers lots of power and durability in the smallest-possible package.
7. SOG Tactical Tomahawks
This lightweight, multi-use axe manages to pack a punch whether it comes to camping, breaching, backpacking, or more. The lightweight design means that you can achieve wings that are fast and true here - your cuts are made all the cleaner thanks to the stainless steel blade that offers great results.
- A very strong edge on the axe.
- The blade holds its sharpness even after sustained use.
- The spike on the axe head can be really helpful.
- Very light and easy to carry.
- The sheath can be a little cumbersome to remove.
This product is best for campers and backpackers who need to carry a lightweight yet powerful and durable tactical axe with them on their journeys.
8. Camping Axe Multi-Tool Kit
If you love camping, you'll know that you often need a wide range of tools to help you set up a comfortable camp. You'll often have to cut, chop, split, trim, chip, scale, and do much more. This multipurpose kit offers a modular design so that you can get the tool you need when you need it. This design also means that it's simple to transport - and you can store additional items in the various individual tubes.
- Lightweight and simple to carry.
- A range of uses to keep you safe and productive.
- A sharpener is included to keep your blade sharp.
- Comes with a great case.
- The instructions are somewhat confusing and you'll have to experiment.
This product is best for outdoor lovers, campers, hikers, survivalists, and and hunters who need an adaptable and reliable tool that can do a great deal!
9. LIANTRAL Survival Camp Axe
This strong and sturdy tactical axe can really do it all. The high-quality head means that you get an axe and sickle in one while you'll also find a flashlight, saw-toothed knife, whistle, window breaker, compass, and magnesium bar flint in the package. The length is adjustable, too, making it perfect for a range of outdoor camping needs.
- A very sharp blade.
- Lots of additional functionality.
- Perfect if you need a lightweight multi-purpose tool.
- Some users complain that bolts become loose which can lead to some wobble.
This product is best for outdoor enthusiasts who need a powerful and variable tool to accompany them on their excursions.
10. BladeMate Survival Camping Hatchet
The fortified 4.5 inch blade on this camping hatchet means that it can really pack a punch whether you need it for personal protection or to clear bushes. The handle is particularly ergonomic and comfortable, giving you the leverage that you need to achieve a strong swing.
- A blade that holds its sharpness.
- Palpable quality with each swing.
- Makes cutting simple.
- The grip may be uncomfortable depending on your preferences.
The Best Tactical Axe of 2021
There are some really incredible products available on the market. Whether you're a camper, hiker, or general lover of the outdoors you might find yourself spoiled for choice.
Our overall favorite tactical axe, though, is the SOG Outdoor Survival Hatchet and Tactical Tomahawk. We believe that it strikes an amazing relationship between cost and quality, and that if you decide to invest here you'll get a reliable tactical axe that lasts for many years to come.