There are lots of different types of axes on the market. These all have distinct uses but they all have one ultimate goal: cutting. The double bit axe is a very important option - it comes with two blades to help professional lumberjacks achieve ultimate flexibility.
One of the blades is kept sharp to offer deep and clean cuts, while the other side is often blunter given that it is used to hack around rocks and dirt. This flexibility means that the tool is a great option, but it also makes it difficult to find a quality double bit axe.
Here's our complete guide on how to find the best double bit axe on the market.
How to Buy the Best Double Bit Axe
When it comes to finding the best double bit axe, you've got to go into the process with a strategy. Here's a look at the top criteria that you should use to assess the suitability of the different options on the market.
It's very important that you choose a handle that is comfortable and ergonomic. You're going to have the axe in your hand for a long time, so it's important that it feels great and doesn't cause blistering.
The key features to look out for are the curve of the handle and the material that it is made from.
There are lots of reasons to use a double bit axe when compared to other axe options. You should make sure that your use case is appropriate. Here are some of the key times to use a double bit axe:
When it comes to cutting lumber, it's good practice to use an axe with two blades: one should be thicker to achieve obtuse cuts with a sharper and thinner blade will help you to achieve thinner angles.
Fire Wood Chopping
When it comes to chopping fire wood, you're going to want accurate and precise cuts. The extra weight offered by a double bit axe means that it can be simpler to achieve accurate and precise cuts.
Chopping Tree Branches
Double bit axes can make quick work of tree branches that are causing you trouble. Likewise, those axes can help to trim, cut, and shape woods used in furniture.
The head of your axe has got to be just right, too. It should be made from a durable material that is resistant to impact and the elements. It's also got to be the right weight - it should be heavy enough to help you deliver powerful yet accurate blows.
The shape of the head can also have a huge impact on the functionality of your double bit axe. It's important that you find an axe that fits your needs. Some axe heads will have narrow wedges, for example, that make it simple to remove the axe from a piece of wood after it has entered.
Lots of little axe head features can make or break the experience for you!
It's important that the blade on your double bit axe is sharp and manages to properly retain that sharp edge while in use. This will help you to get the most efficient and productive cuts possible to expedite your work and reduce fatigue.
Of course, you'll also want to make sure that both sides of the blade can be adjusted according to your preferences.
The overall design of the double bit axe is also very important to consider. There are a wide range of options out there that have different a unique look and feel. You can find classical options, for example.
Top 9 Double Bit Axes
Now that we have a better understanding of how to assess the suitability of a double bit axe, let's take a closer look at the best options on the market.
1. Condor Double Bit Michigan
This fabulous double bit axe is made from the finest materials to achieve impressive levels of performance and durability. The handle is made from American hickory while the blade itself is made from strong carbon steel.
- Very durable.
- Comes with a strong leather sheath.
- Classic aesthetic.
- Handle might need some love and care.
- Edges require some love to get the sharpest blade.
- Lacks in overall quality feel.
This product is best for people looking for a good balance between cost and quality. The look is also incredibly classic, so it will satisfy people looking for that!
2. Truper 35-Inch Double Bit Michigan Axe
This highly-customizable axe is a loyal companion for dairy, sport, recreation, farm, garden, or home us. It has a very solid look and can generate huge amounts of force.
- 35-inch double hickory handle that can generate huge amount of power.
- A heat treated blade that has a wood and steel wedge assembly for extra strength.
- A classic look and feel.
- Customization options can be a little overwhelming.
- Complaints about the workmanship that goes into the axe.
- Inconsistency in terms of the final finish.
This product is best for axe lovers who want a large and powerful double bit axe on a budget.
3. Helko Werk Hinterland Double Bit Axe
This German-made axe has a powerful and imposing look. The head is made from high grade carbon steel while the handle is Grade A American hickory. A beautiful leather sheath is included too. With a total weight of 5 lb and a handle length of 30-inches, this can generate some serious power.
- A medieval look that's truly stunning.
- Helko is a premium brand that is known for producing quality.
- Traditional forge marks on the quality steel.
- The edge of the blade might require some additional sharpening.
- Some isolated complaints about workmanship.
This product is best for woodcutters who don't mind spending a little extra to get an incredibly powerful axe that has a classic and rugged look.
4. Hults Bruk Motala Double Bit Axe
This formidable double bit axe is hand-forged and made from Swedish steel. The 30-inch handle is robust while the 4 lb head offers a lot of weight for extra power. This is a premium double bit axe that offers great functionality but also acts as an impressive heritage piece that captures the spirit of ancient Scandinavian history.
- Perfectly balanced due to having been created in a forge.
- Incredibly sharp edges for clean cuts.
- A truly quality item that is packed with character.
- Some complaints about the quality of the accompanying leather sheath.
This product is best for collectors who are willing to spend a lot of money for a truly exquisite item that they will enjoy using for many years to come.
5. Estwing Double Bit Axe
This modern-looking double bit axe offers maximum strength and durability thanks to its forged steel construction, shock reduction grip, and more. The powerful tool is made in the USA and has a more modern look when compared to many of the alternative double bit axes on this list.
- Incredibly powerful and achieves great cuts.
- The weight sits at the end of the blade to allow additional power.
- The shock-absorbing handle protects from injury.
- The eagle featured on the product is just a sticker.
This product is best for woodcutting enthusiasts that want maximum power wrapped in a modern look and feel.
6. Roughneck Double Bit Axe
This robust and modern axe offers a powerful and comfortable 32-inch handle to create a comfortable and productive experience. The axe makes intense activities like felling a total breeze and the build quality means you can rest assured the axe can handle the power it produces.
- The connection between the head and the handle is very strong.
- Shallow blades that achieve deep cuts.
- A modern look and feel.
- The handle is made from fiberglass and rubber rather than more robust materials.
- The handle is not as durable as competing options.
This product is best enthusiasts looking for an immensely powerful double bit axe that has a modern look and feel with a long handle.
7. Structron Michigan Double Bit Axe
The 36-inch handle on this double bit axe makes swinging a real pleasure and the price is attractive too! What you gain in power may be lost in accuracy, though, so it's important to make sure this long handle fits your needs.
- A very long handle.
- Cost effective compared to other options.
- A modern fiberglass handle.
- The fiberglass handle can quickly deteriorate compared to other options if not cared for properly.
This product is best for people who want to find the longest handle possible on a small budget to achieve maximum leverage and power.
8. Vaughan Double Bit Michigan Pattern Axe
This robust double bit axe is computer designed to achieve truly superior balance and reduce fatigue within operators. A white hickory handle is accented by a shocking blue head that has been hardened and tempered to stand against both impacts and extreme temperatures.
- Hollow ground blades allow for deeper and easier cuts.
- Uses computer technology to get the best balance.
- Some scattered complaints about the quality of the workmanship.
- Occasional reports of poor-quality materials too.
This product is best for those woodcutters who want a strong budget option and aren't precious about workmanship or the look and feel of the axe.
9. Council Tool Velvicut Premium Saddle Axe
This is by far the smallest double bit axe on this list. Measuring in with a handle at 16-inches, this small option still packs a serious punch. The handle is made from solid American hickory while the steel head is incredibly durable and can provide neat cuts even with the small handle. Of course, this premium axe is perfect to travel with and employ for a diverse range of tasks!
- An amazing hatchet axe.
- A high-end American product that rivals traditional options.
- A very sharp and powerful blade that gets results.
- Lacks in power compared to other double bit axes on this list.
This product is best for enthusiasts that want to buy a beautiful American-made double bit axe that looks and feels great. If portability is more important to you than power, this is a great option.
The Best Double Bit Axe
We know that when it comes to selecting the perfect axe, there's a lot of subjective thought and feeling that goes into the process. Every axe on this list is a viable option depending on your preferences and your needs.
The best double bit axe for our money, though, is the Helko Werk Hinterland Double Bit Axe. This is a truly beautiful piece of equipment that is just a pleasure to look at! The chances are that it will feel as though it was made specifically for your hands.
The hickory handle is very robust and powerful - more than capable of absorbing the shock that comes with the powerful strikes it can deliver. The head itself has the incredible Scandinavian look and feel, but it's also capable of delivering impressive cuts that will be sure to delight you.
This is much more than a double bit axe - it's an heirloom that will last you for many years to come! We are confident that if you decide to invest in this option, you'll be blown away with the results and the longevity of your new favorite axe.
We hope that this closer look at the best double bit axes has been useful for you. As you can see, there's a lot to consider and you'll want to pay careful attention to all of the options out there to make sure that you make the right choice!